Driving in Spain after Brexit

Before driving in any other country, it’s vital that you appreciate the local laws and regulations. This is particularly pertinent for post-Brexit driving in the EU. Here’s all you need to know about driving in Spain after Brexit.

What are the documentation requirements for driving in Spain after Brexit?

 A no deal Brexit will affect UK motorists driving in Spain as they will need to secure an international driving permit. Spain is covered by the 1949 IDP, which can be acquired from the Post Office for £5.50, although drivers wanting to drive into Portugal or France will also need to gain a 1968 IDP.

Drivers must be 18 or older to drive a temporarily imported car or at least 16 to ride a motorcycle up to 125cc. All UK driving licenses, including the old green paper ones, will be accepted as long as they have at least six months to run.

What are the motor insurance requirements in Spain?

All drivers must have third-party motor insurance, although a more comprehensive package is highly advised. Following a no deal Brexit, UK drivers will also need to carry green card documents to show that they do have insurance.

What are the speed limits in Spain?

When driving in Spain, there are a number of speed restrictions to acknowledge. As with the UK, the most influential factor is the location. The following rules are in place;

Near schools and some residential roads – 13mph (20km/h)

Built up areas – 31mph (50km/h)

Category 1 roads outside of residential areas – 62mph (100km/h)

Category 2 roads outside of residential areas – 55mph (90km/h)

Motorways / dual carriageways in built-up areas – 49 mph (80km/h)

Other motorways – 74mph (120km/h)

It should also be noted that the minimum speed on a motorway is 37mph (60km/h). If driving a motorhome, there are lower limits in place. They are 62mph on motorways, 55mph on category 1 road, and 49mph on category 2 roads.

What items must be carried when driving in Spain?

In addition to the necessary documentation, you should carry;

A spare wheel and tyre repair kit, including all necessary tools.

A warning triangle, preferably two.

A reflective hi-vis jacket for anyone getting out of the car following a main road or motorway breakdown.

Are any other regulations in place regarding the car?

All passengers, front and rear, must wear seatbelts at all tomes when the car is in motion. You must also used dipped headlights when driving through tunnels and avoid using full beams in built-up areas. Drivers should also display a GB sticker on their vehicle.

You must also avoid spiked tyres and speed camera detectors. Horns should not be used in built-up areas, except for in an emergency. DVD players and other devices with screens (excluding Sat Navs) should not be facing the driver.

Low emission zones exist in Barcelona and Madrid, so drivers visiting those cities should seek further information on vehicle restrictions,

What are the rules regarding children?

Children under 12 should use age and size-appropriate seatbelt and safety devices while they should also sit in the back unless all back seats are occupied by other children. Children taller than 1.35m can use the adult seatbelts while the rules do not apply to taxi rides.

What are the rules on drink driving?

All road users including limits must not have a reading of over 49 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood, while drivers with less than two years of experience should have no more than 29 milligrams per 100 millilitres of blood.

Are the fines severe?

Motoring offences carry different fines depending on the type of misdemeanour, but you should know that refusing an ‘on the spot’ fine can result in the vehicle being confiscated while illegally parked cars can be towed away. 

Paying a fine within 20 days will cut the fee in half.

Leave a Comment